$1,925,000: 176 Palo Alto Ave, San Francisco
Twin Peaks house, San Francisco – trust sale: $1.925M
176 Palo Alto Avenue, San Francisco
Days on market: 61 (competing properties averaged 101 days)
Offers secured: 2
Sale price: $1,925,000
Compared to average price/sq. ft.: +20%
This trust administration sale was complicated by the trustee having lived, with limited mobility, in the home for many years. Much of the interior was over 50 years old. Because the home design was unique – one of the first built in San Francisco with a loft-style master bedroom – it would appeal to a very limited and specific target market.
The plan was to bring this gem back to its full glory by preserving its unfinished wood and carrying on the Japanese-inspired “harmony with nature” theme. Included in Signature Architects of the Bay Area by Dave Weinstein (2006), the home design was inspired by the San Francisco cable car and features single-piece wood members bent to mimic the distinctive ceiling lines of the cars.
Craig recruited specialists to help promote the home:
- an architect with a Master’s degree in Japanese woodworking (from Tokyo), who had a unique ability to communicate the nuances of this one-of-a-kind home to potential buyers
- a public relations firm to define the buyer demographic and reach the very specific audience both domestically and internationally
After Craig’s team removed all of the personal property, they made minor repairs, landscaped and staged the home. Then he hosted several design lovers’ events at dusk. The patio and views of the Golden Gate Bridge sold one of the invited guests.
- The company that produced the website for the property told Craig its volume of traffic was unprecedented – more than 800 visitors to the website in 24 hours
- 3 blog posts were written about the home at no cost to the owner, attracting attention and buyer activity
- Over 750 visitors saw the San Francisco MLS listing in the first 4 days
- Hosted several premier design events at the house with big names in San Francisco architecture, interior and home design